Irish poet Seamus Heaney (1939 – 2013) was regarded is one of the world’s greatest poets. His poetry enriched the world enormously and his legacy ‘continues to deepen our sense of what really matters.’ (Faber & Faber editor Christopher Reid) This bespoke half-day guided tour explores Seamus Heaney’s Home Ground, visiting many of the places that inspired/influenced his work. Your specialist Heaney guide is local man Eugene Kielt, a Blue Badge guide with over 30 years’ experience. He is sensitive, articulate and professional and he will tailor the tour to suit your requirements, whether you are a Heaney novice or a seasoned fan. Take this original Tour of Heaney Country and you will never forget the unique experience.
‘Rich, quality content, full of unexpected joys, beautiful images and then, ultimately, a feeling of sheer satisfaction and pleasure… One of the best guided tours I have ever done’
‘The most informative, exciting and moving tour I have ever experienced’
You can commence this unique and absorbing tour OF Seamus Heaney Country either at the award-winning Laurel Villa Townhouse in Magherafelt – Ireland’s only poetry guesthouse – or at the Seamus Heaney HomePlace Visitor Centre in Bellaghy.
Mossbawn – the birthplace and childhood home of Seamus Heaney
The Forge – Where ‘Barney Devlin hammered the midnight anvil’
The Strand at Lough Beg – the setting for Heaney’s elegy for his cousin
Bellaghy Graveyard – the poet’s final resting place
- Eugene Kielt B.A. (Hons.), Certificate in Tour Guiding
- Tourism Northern Ireland (TNI) Belfast Accredited 5 STAR Guide
- Member of N. Ireland Tourist Guide Association
- Seamus Heaney Specialist Guide with over 25 Years’ experience
- Pre-tour consultation to determine client(s) requirements
- Professional guiding fee
- Full Public Liability insurance
What’s not Included:
- Transportation – this tour is conducted by a non-driver guide in a client provided car/coach
The Seamus Heaney On Home Ground tour starts at £140.
Please email us for a quote